Commonly known as the gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains and home to the historic University of Tennessee, Knoxville has been welcoming travelers and university students for decades. Previously dubbed the “Scruffy City” in the 80s, Knoxville has since cleaned up its act and has become a vibey, up-and-coming city full of southern charm and lively energy ready to welcome you and your four-legged friend.
Boasting an eclectic food and art scene, historical sites, a world-class university, and 1000 acres of Urban Wilderness along the Tennessee River, you just may find the only thing scruffy in this city is your furry friend.
After a day of exploring Knoxville and its surrounding areas with your pooch, you’ll both need a place to rest up for the night and many hotels are happy to accommodate pets. Here are 8 of the best pet-friendly hotels right in the heart of Knoxville, Tennessee.
1. The Tennessean Hotel
Why you should stay: The location is absolutely incredible
- Pet Fees: $100 per stay
- Pet Policies: 50 lbs max – must have prior approval from the hotel, and dogs must be kenneled if left unattended in the room
- Pet Amenities: Dog beds available on request
Located in the heart of downtown Knoxville, The Tennessean Hotel is the perfect urban retreat offering modern amenities with a touch of that southern hospitality and charm that makes you feel right at home. Take in the views of the city or park from the floor-to-ceiling windows in every room or enjoy delicious farm-to-table fare in the on-site restaurant and bar.
Explore downtown Knoxville on foot with your canine companion, and see all that the city has to offer. Just a short walk from World Fair Park, Market Square, and Old City, this hotel is amidst an eclectic fusion of culinary trysts, artisanal shopping, and art and entertainment to indulge in.
2. Graduate Knoxville
Why you should stay: If you’re a UT fan or alumni
- Pet Fees: $35 per night
- Pet Policies: Contact the hotel for further info
Situated right on The Strip, Graduate Knoxville is just a few steps away from the University of Tennessee and Neyland Stadium. Inspired by Rocky Top lore and fashioned with a spirited palette of orange, blue, and white and a touch of vintage Tennessee, the Graduate is the home away from home for every UT fan and alumni alike.
Enjoy a drink at the famed bar created in partnership with the UT legend, Peyton Manning, or walk about downtown with your furry friend in tow taking a stroll to the Tennessee River discovering the true charm and beauty of Knoxville.
3. Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University
Why you should stay: Walking distance to Market Square and Old City
- Pet Fees: Not listed
- Pet Policies: Pets allowed, contact the hotel for further info
- Pet Amenities: Pet walking area and other pet amenities available upon request
Centrally located in downtown, Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University is the ideal base for exploring the city of Knoxville and beyond. Recently renovated this hotel features comfortable rooms for you to relax in after a full day of sightseeing and exploring.
Walking distance from Market Square and the historic Gay Street, there are countless dog-friendly shops, restaurants, cafes, and entertainment for you to take in, you and your four-legged friend will never have a dull moment.
4. Marriott Knoxville Downtown
Why you should stay: Next to World’s Fair Park
- Pet Fees: $75 per stay
- Pet Policies: 2 dogs 50 lbs maximum per room
Enjoy Marriott Knoxville Downtown’s plush suites and modern luxuries after a day of exploring the city or an adventure out in Tennessee’s vast nature. Located on the edge of the famed World Fair Park, take a leisurely stroll right in the hotel’s backyard and enjoy a little family fun or a picnic at this beautiful park where dogs are always welcome.
Venture out for the day to discover historic nearby attractions like Old City, Market Square, and Gay Street where you’ll find an abundance of shops, restaurants, and entertainment that cater to your canine companion. You’ll find welcoming signs and fresh bowls of water or treats at many of the local spots for your pampered pooch to stay hydrated and feel a little bit spoiled. Bone Appétit.
5. Hyatt Place Knoxville Downtown
Why you should stay: Proximity to a top-notch dog park
- Pet Fees: $75 for 1-6 night stays, $100 for 7-30 night stays
- Pet Policies: 50 lbs max for 1 dog, 75 lb total weight for 2 dogs
Located on South Gay Street where the city’s historic grounds meet a wide array of vibrant restaurants and bars, Hyatt Place Knoxville Downtown is the ultimate base to discover all that Knoxville has to see and do — and it’s all just right around the corner.
When your canine companion gets a little restless from the city life take a quick 7-minute walk to PetSafe Downtown, one of Knoxville’s premier dog parks. Your downtown dog can get off the pavement and onto some grass, where he can roll, run, and roam with new furry friends, sans leash.
6. Embassy Suites by Hilton Knoxville Downtown
Why you should stay: The rooftop pool and bar
- Pet Fees: $100 for 1-6 night stays, $175 for 7-13 night stays, $250 for 14-29 night stays, $350 for 30+ nights
- Pet Policies: Pets allowed, contact the hotel for more info
Conveniently located in the heart of downtown, Embassy Suites Knoxville Downtown offers guests modern luxury in the center of all the action. After a day of exploring nearby attractions and sites, cool down at the sprawling rooftop pool, enjoy the views with a cocktail at the rooftop bar, or pamper yourself at the tranquil spa.
When your four-legged friend needs to stretch his legs or do his business, Charles Krutch Park provides a little slice of nature right in downtown Knoxville, and lucky for you, it’s directly behind the hotel. Featuring water fountains, a pond, shady trees, and picnic benches, this urban oasis is the perfect place to relax and take it all in. Walk through the winding path to historic Market Square where you can shop, play, eat, drink, and so much more.
7. Aloft Knoxville West
Why you should stay: Modern amenities outside the city
- Pet Fees: $50 per stay
- Pet Policies: 1 pet up to 40 lbs allowed
Located in West Knoxville just outside the city, Aloft Knoxville West is your gateway for exploring some of Knoxville’s great outdoors. Only a 10-minute drive from Fort Loudoun Lake and Concord Park, which sports one of the best dog parks in the city, you and your furry friend will have endless hours of fun in the sun. From swims in the lake and kayaking to volleyball and miles of trails through the wooded forest, there is always something for you and your pup to enjoy.
After a full-day affair, unwind in a stylish loft-style suite with a modern and eclectic feel and savor the contemporary amenities Aloft hotel offers. From relaxing rainfall showers and dips in the outdoor pool to drinks at the bar and evenings at the backyard fire pit, you and your four-legged friend will leave feeling completely refreshed and rejuvenated.
8. Cumberland House Knoxville
Why you should stay: Free bike rentals
- Pet Fees: $50 per stay
- Pet Policies: 40 lbs max
- Pet Amenities: Dog bed, treats, and bowls available
Situated in Downtown Knoxville, Cumberland House’s serene, luxury suites are the perfect place to rest those legs after a day of eating, drinking, and exploring. Guests rave about how their canine companions were spoiled rotten by the hotel staff, ensuring little Bengy might even enjoy the stay more than you.
Across the street from World Fair Park, there’s always a grass patch for your furry friend to roll in close by. Take advantage of the hotel’s free bike rentals and explore Knoxville by bike with your furry friend in tow or visit the greenway along the Tennessee River.
Pet-Friendly Activities in Knoxville, Tennessee
Relish in the natural beauty of Knoxville with your canine companion and enjoy one of its many pet-friendly activities in nature.
- Take a trip to Concord Park with your furry friend where they can enjoy wooded trails, swims in the lake, or paddle boarding. There is also a fabulous dog park featuring 4 acres of separate fenced areas for both small and large dogs, doggie water fountains, and a dog washing station.
- Talk a long walk with your four-legged friend through East Lakeshore Trails where you can explore 26 miles of peaceful wooded trails along Tellico Lake sans-leash
- Take your waterdog on a tubing adventure with River Rat Tubing & Whitewater for a fun day of relaxing rapids, scenic views, a swimming hole, and even a rock jump.
- While in downtown Knoxville, take your pup to roam and play leash-free with new friends at Petsafe Downtown Dog Park featuring water fountains, ramps, exercise stations, and separate areas for both small and large dogs.
Find More Nearby Stays
- 7 Awesomely Pet-Friendly Hotels in Nashville, Tennessee
- 13 Gorgeous, Pet-Friendly Cabins in Pigeon Forge, TN
- 11 Pet-Friendly Airbnb & VRBO Cabins in Sevierville, TN
- 9 Unique Places to Stay in Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- 8 Best Resorts in Tennessee for Every Traveler
- 8 Incredible Glamping Spots Near Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Doggy Check In is reader-supported and may earn a commission when you book or purchase using our links.