Named a top travel destination by Travel + Leisure Magazine and a top food destination by National Geographic, Richmond is quickly becoming one of the coolest cities in the country offering something for just about everyone – furry friends included.
From the rich history of the American Civil War Museum or vibrant culture of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts to the indulgence of Real Richmond Food Tours or simply exploring the abundance of green spaces and rivers intertwining the city, there are endless things to see and do in the capital city of Virginia.
Whether you’re exploring the historic city by foot, eating your way through it, or immersing yourself in the natural beauty of one of its many parks, Richmond is the perfect city to explore alongside your four-legged friend. Not to mention there’s no shortage of great hotels that are happy to accommodate your canine companion, and we’ve taken the guesswork out of it for you by curating a list of the best ones.
Here are nine purr-fect, pet-friendly hotels to stay at during your next trip to Richmond with your furry friend.
1. Graduate Richmond
Why you should stay: Enjoy all the college nostalgia with your pup.
- Pet Fees: $35 per night
- Pet Policies: Contact the hotel for more info
Located in downtown Richmond, near Virginia Commonwealth University, Graduate Richmond is a total dream for any Ram’s fan, but really for just about anyone – including those who travel with their furry friends. With comfortable guestrooms decked out in plaid and a spirited blue, as well as all the amenities you could want, this hotel is the perfect mix of preppy and modern and emanates cool . Unwind at the rooftop pool and bar for a dip or a cocktail and take in the views of downtown Richmond.
The ideal location of Graduate Richmond puts you in the center of it all. Stroll the neighborhood with your canine companion in tow and see all that Richmond has to offer. Just a short walk away from Graduate Hotel, Monroe Park offers the perfect patch of grass for your canine companion to sniff or do his business in.
2. The Commonwealth
Why you should stay: The top-notch downtown location.
- Pet Fees: $100 per stay
- Pet Policies: Dogs only, 40 lb max, 2nd and 3rd floors are designated as dog-friendly
- Pet Amenities: Dog bed to use during your stay, treats upon arrival, and a door hanger to alert staff that your pet is in the room
Located in the heart of downtown, The Commonwealth has been a landmark of Richmond for over 100 years, and it’s just mere steps away from an abundance of great shops, cafes, restaurants, and entertainment. The spacious suites are furnished with handcrafted pieces from local artisans, the plushest beds, and modern amenities, all tucked inside a charming historic building.
At The Commonwealth, you can choose from a variety of different rooms including the Homey Suite, an apartment-style suite that will make you and your little fur baby feel right at home. Directly across the street from Capital Square Park, your canine companion will always have a place to walk or stretch their legs.
3. Quirk Hotel Richmond
Why you should stay: For the art lovers (and dog lovers).
- Pet Fees: $150, 50% refundable after room inspection confirming no damages.
- Pet Policies: Dogs only up to 70 lbs
Art-forward and designed to inspire, Quirk Hotel provides a unique experience to guests and an insta-worthy moment around each and every corner. Discover talented local artists at the on-site gallery and in just about every space of this creative boutique hotel.
Located in the heart of downtown, Quirk Hotel is not only stunning but provides the ultimate location to explore the dynamic culture of Richmond. Take a stroll outside the hotel with your canine companion to discover a unique mix of historical sites, diverse restaurants, and one-of-a-kind boutiques.
4. Jefferson Hotel
Why you should stay: For ultimate luxury
- Pet Fees: $50 per dog per night
- Pet Policies: Dogs only, not allowed in the restaurant
- Pet Amenities: Bowls and pet-friendly city guide
Located in downtown Richmond, experience true upscale luxury while staying at the grand Jefferson Hotel. Each guest room and suite oozes comfort and is designed to make you feel like you’re staying in a luxury downtown apartment. Your four-legged friend, too, will feel right at home as dogs are allowed everywhere in the hotel except for the dining areas.
Take advantage of the pet-friendly city guide provided by the hotel and discover all the best local haunts for you and your furry friend to explore. Book your stay for November to attend the annual Fur Ball by Richmond SPCA, a black tie event, to see the Parade of Pets or be a part of it.
5. Hilton Richmond Downtown
Why you should stay: A historic stay
- Pet Fees: $50 per stay
- Pet Policies: Dogs only, up to 50 lbs
- Pet Amenities: Dog bed upon request
Residing inside the historic former Miller & Rhoads department store in the center of downtown, Hilton Richmond provides a taste of history in the heart of the city. Boasting many original features as well as contemporary amenities this hotel is the perfect mix of old and new.
Leash up your pup and explore nearby historic monuments, art galleries, and an array of pet-friendly cafes, or take a short walk down to the James River, sit on a river rock or walk one of the many nature trails, and discover the true natural beauty of Richmond.
6. Omni Richmond Hotel
Why you should stay: The mecca of food
- Pet Fees: $150 per stay
- Pet Policies: Dogs up to 25 lbs, dogs must be placed in a carrier when staff enter the room, guide dogs are exempt from pet policy
- Pet Amenities: Dog bed upon request
Located in the vibrant Shockoe Slip Historic District overlooking the James River, the newly renovated Omni Hotel is the perfect place to discover Richmond’s history and southern charm. Take a stroll down the cobblestone streets with your dog in tow taking in the history of the area or indulge in authentic southern food in this dynamic downtown dining hub.
Just a short walk away is the James River where you can journey through many nature trails, swim in the river, or just sit and watch boats go by. After a day of discovering all the best of Richmond, unwind in the heated indoor pool, catch some rays on the sundeck, or watch the river from the window of your luxury guest room.
7. The Westin Richmond
Why you should stay: Get out of the hustle and bustle.
- Pet Fees: $75 per stay
- Pet Policies: Only 2 dogs 40 lbs max allowed-2nd floor rooms only
- Pet Amenities: Dog bed upon request
Located between Downtown and Short Pump off Interstate 64, The Westin Richmond provides easy access to all the best regions of the city, while being out of the busyness of the city center. Featuring thoughtful amenities like a heated indoor pool, plush beds, organic cuisine, and a variety of room options, The Westin is the ultimate treat for both you and your canine companion.
Venture off for the day for some exercise in one of the many dog-friendly parks close by or shop til you drop at a nearby shopping center. At the end of the day, you and your four-legged friend can unwind by the fire pit in the hotel’s cozy outdoor courtyard.
8. The Berkeley Hotel
Why you should stay: Great service and an awesome dog package too.
- Pet Fees: $100 per night
- Pet Policies: 2 dogs 50 lbs max allowed
- Pet Amenities: Berkeley Dog-Friendly Package – dog bed to use during your stay, pet-friendly city guide, treats, and more
Nestled on the west end of the historic Shockoe Slip District, the award-winning Berkeley Hotel is amidst all the famed eateries and unique boutiques Richmond has to offer. Seek refuge in the hotel’s spacious guest rooms perfect for your pup to play or rest in and find comfort in refined style and an array of luxury amenities including the Dog-Friendly Package to pamper your pup.
Wander down the cobblestone streets, visit nearby historic sites, museums, art galleries, and shops, or grab a bite at one of the many dog-friendly restaurants. Walking distance, the James River Canal Walk is the perfect place to stretch your legs and get some exercise with your four-legged friend.
9. Hyatt Place Richmond Arboretum
Why you should stay: Easy access to local hotspots
- Pet Fees: $75 per stay
- Pet Policies: 2 dogs allowed with a combined weight of 75 lbs max, or 50 lbs for 1 dog – all dogs must be housebroken
Located in west Richmond off Highway 60, Hyatt Place Richmond Arboretum provides a convenient base for exploring the city as well as the surrounding areas. While at the hotel, take advantage of the complimentary Gopuff service which provides fast, free delivery of thousands of items from snacks to pet care.
Just a few minutes drive from the Ruff House Dog Park at Rockwood Park, you’ll always have a place close by for your four-legged friend to run and play while the rich history and culture of downtown Richmond are just 15 minutes away.
Pet-Friendly Activities in Richmond, Virginia
There’s no shortage of dog-friendly activities in Richmond for you to enjoy with your canine travel companion.
- Take your pup to play at one of the city’s many off-leash dog parks like Barker Field at Byrd Park or Ruff House Dog Park at Rockwood Park.
- Take a walk down the Virginia Capital Trail, which runs alongside the James River, where leashed dogs are always welcome.
- Pamper your pup with a day of shopping at Abbella Cakes, a bakery for dogs and Fido Park Avenue, a boutique just for dogs at Stony Point Fashion Park.
- Go on an adventure with your furry friend at Pocahontas State Park, located just south of the city. Here you can explore over 60 miles of dog-friendly hiking trails.
Find More Nearby Stays
- Top 10 Pet-Friendly Airbnbs in Virginia Beach
- 7 Pet-Friendly Hotels in Cape May, New Jersey
- 10 Rustic, Pet Friendly Cabin Rentals in West Virginia
- 6 Pet-Friendly Hotels in Wilmington, North Carolina
- 11 Cozy & Natural Glamping Destinations in Virginia
Doggy Check In is reader-supported and may earn a commission when you book or purchase using our links.